[OpenBIOS] comments and ideas

David Woodhouse Dave at imladris.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 00:49:00 CET 1998

dcinege at fuckthejunkmailers.org said:
> Stephane Boyer wrote:
> > we already have a 16bit bios! and they work well enough. if you dual-boot
> > dos/Linux , fine stay with a 16bit bios, but if you only use Linux,
> > wouldn't you want a bios that was specificaly made for it.

> No. I have several linux servers here. Durign the rarity that they
> reboot I could care less about the BIOS.

> On my own workstation I have DOS, NT, 2 installs of OS/2, and Linux.
> That's where I need the flexablity of a new BIOS (with boot loading
> features, etc)

Agreed. We should (IMnsHO) concentrate on getting the normal BIOS up and
running before adding the esoteric new features - we want to change one thing
at a time. Getting it to work at all is going to be complex enough, without
changing the kernel boot procedure at the same time.

Clean 32-bit boot functions are a reasonable goal, but we need the basics
first, and we need to formulate a proper specification for the 32-bit interface
before we even think about implementing it. Let's leave it till later, and try
to design something that other OS's will consider using.

David Woodhouse, Robinson College, CB3 9AN, England.   (+44) 0976 658355
    Dave at imladris.demon.co.uk        http://dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk
	    finger pgp at dwmw2.robinson.cam.ac.uk for PGP key.

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/