[OpenBIOS] More comments and a proposal for priorities

Michael Miller mcm at anadigi.com
Fri Feb 20 12:29:25 CET 1998

John Labovitz wrote:

> Markus Kaufmann <kaufmann at pks-software.de> said:
>
> > A BIOS isn't something that you change daily like the newest
> > developer kernel. Once you have a perfect BIOS, you should never
> > change it.
>
> to interject a philosophical point here: this is why we're doing an
> *open* BIOS project -- to rid ourselves of the accepted myth that Thou
> Shalt Never Change The BIOS (unless the manufacturer tells you to, via
> an upgrade).
>
>yes, we should make it clear that BIOS changes are dangerous and could
>result in a nonbooting system,

I haven't been following this list for more than a week, so forgive me
if this has already been addressed.

Don't most of the modern BIOSs use the boot block feature of the flash
devices to provide a mechanism for recovery when a BIOS update goes bad?
I ported some Phoenix 4.0 source, and this was a feature they used.  How
will it be possible to overwrite an existing BIOS with an OpenBIOS when
the boot block is already locked?  Also, on all of the the MBs that I've
used in the past two years, the system flash is SMD soldered to the
board,
so you can't exactly replace the devices easily.

Also, in response to issues of device capacity, some newer BIOSs are
stored
in a compressed format, and then shadowed as required.  POST is
decompressed
into shadow RAM, executed and then overwritten by the run-time code.  My
project with the Phoenix code had an incredible amount of support for
features on a laptop, and it all fit into a 128K device (using
compression).

michael

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/