[OpenBIOS] User-extentions

William A. Arbaugh waa at dsl.cis.upenn.edu
Sat Feb 21 15:09:19 CET 1998

On Saturday, February 21, 1998 2:37 PM, Benjamin Scott [SMTP:hawk at ttlc.net]
wrote:

> >> Why do these have to be stored in the NVRAM?  Can't we reserve 1K or
> >> so of flash for this sort of thing?  Or can't you erase and replace
> >> just a little bit of flash at a time?
> >
> > All things considered, you really don't want to flash the BIOS too
> > often,and especially not behind the users back, so to speak

NVRAM varies from machine to machine some of the chips now have several K
available since a number of BIOS' store the ESCD (needed for PnP) info in
NVRAM rather than flash. Most of the flash ROMs support up to 100,000
reprogramming cycles.

>   Flashing the BIOS often would be a Bad Thing.  There is a limit to how
> often you can write flash ROM.  It would take awhile to hit it, but it
> is a real limit.  Plus, I think you need to erase flash ROM in banks of
> a certain size.  At least, I've seen plenty of stuff that worked that
> way and that way only.

You do need to flash in blocks. The size of the block depends on the chip
with the modern chips now having small blocks for storing configuration
information, e.g. the Intel 28F001BX-T (128K)has two 4KByte parameter
blocks plush a 8KB boot block. The boot block has extra HW protection to
prevent accidental reprogramming. This is how the Intel boards prevent you
from completely trashing your bios by mistake and ruining the motherboard
(since the flash chips are not removable on Intel boards).

>   If we're going to store boot configuration info on disk, we might as
> well just go back to using LILO.  I want something that can boot your
> selected OS without the need of loading from the disk.

So do Microsoft and Intel. This is why they've put together the NetPC spec,
and why there is etherboot and netboot now available for Linux.  You can
burn/flash a ROM today that you can put in your ethernet card's ROM socket
and do a net boot with out every touching your hard disk.  Take a look at
http://www.slug.au/etherboot.

Bill

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/