[OpenBIOS] User-extentions (was Re: More comments and a proposal...)

Chris Arguin cpa at hopper.unh.edu
Mon Feb 23 23:27:39 CET 1998

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Chris Arguin wrote:
>
> > All things considered, you really don't want to flash the BIOS too often,
> > and especially not behind the users back, so to speak. As pointed out
> > before, we could always reserve a parition on the disk, which would allow
> > for extra code and data. This just strikes me as kinda kludgy...
>
> Why not? Award BIOS does this, Windows 95 does this. As we participate at
> "The right thing to do[tm]" we should be allowed to do so, too.

Microsoft does a lot of things the wrong way :)

> This allows having no disk at all. It could be possible, too, to receive
> BIOS settings over the net (or from disk). Maybe this should be made
> dependent on whether you have a disk or networking card or not.

I think everyone has agreed that this will be modular enough that if you
don't like a feature, don't use it.

I belive someone mentioned that there limits to how many times you can
flash most chips. If so, then we definitly don't want to do it every
bootup, especially if we are supporting DOS/Windows :)

--
Chris Arguin          | "Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a
Chris.Arguin at unh.edu  |  diseased mind." - Eric, Terry Pratchett

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/
openbios-request at linkscape.net   Body: un/subscribe