[OpenBIOS] OpenBIOS: reality check

Florian Wunderlich florian.wunderlich at tec.med.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Feb 26 17:00:36 CET 1998

>FW = Florian Wunderlich <florian.wunderlich at tec.med.uni-muenchen.de>
>FW> Filesystem code in a _BASIC_ input/output system is not a good idea
>IMHO.
>
>  The firmware on IBM-PCs can no longer be correctly termed solely an
>input/output system.

The emphasis was on BASIC, as shown with upper case letters, and maybe we
should remind that fact.
What I wanted to express is that FS code does not belong to the BIOS or M/B
firmware or whatever you want to call it. It depends on the operating
system, not on the hardware, and in consequence, it should be implemented
in the os.

>OS> Note, I did not say I think it should be part of the BIOS code, just
>that it
>OS> should reside in ROM.
>
>  With all due respect, this is a technical mailing list, not an English
>lesson.  :-)  We are not computers.  We can (hopefully :) figure out
>what other human beings mean without needing literal terms.

Huh.
May I repeat that? :-)

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/