[OpenBIOS] Hi.

Lukas Ruf lpruf at stud.ee.ethz.ch
Fri Feb 27 17:14:37 CET 1998

Hi folks out there

I subscribed like the one a couple of days ago. And would like to join the
discussion by this eMail:

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 9732520 at lewis.sms.ed.ac.uk wrote:

> 2) I assume 32-bit code is used as much as possible, ie. start up in real mode and
> switch to protected mode asap. and then deal with all the rest.  It doesn't make
> much difference for boot really, but functions used by OS's should really be
> 32-bit now (name one *decent* real mode 16-bit OS).

If you speak about real mode booting -- it seems to me that you think only
about booting a i386-compatible. Further it depends on wether you think to
support the PC-standard (16b RM-BIOS support code) or imlement a complete
new BIOS where no compatibilities to existing software can be guaranteed,
ie. no existing OS would run on such an incomaptible PC-BIOS reinvention.

The problem on restricting filesystem access to the B seem's quite strange
to me.  It sounds like the approach of Apple to make all software
producers produce only one thing: software only for this standard -- else
it should inlcude some hooks where simple OS-Software Calls can hang in.
-- it might be possible that I have not seen the real aim of this
filesystem discussion (I am new in this list, sorry).

By the way: Is there a location where you can retrieve all old discussion
mails ??

Regards

Lukas

---
Lukas Ruf // Neugutstr. 9 // 8002 Zurich // Switzerland // ++41-1-2813545
+++PGP 5.0 Fingerprint:4770 7EF2 6FB2 4DBE AB66  2A46 FA5D D8EF 6E84 15C2

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/
openbios-request at linkscape.net   Body: un/subscribe
Problems?  dcinege at psychosis.com