[OpenBIOS] Summary: Booting the OS

Joel Klecker jk at espy.org
Fri Feb 27 23:01:54 CET 1998

At 15:41 -0500 1998-02-27, <nuke at bayside.net> wrote:
>System Commander is a very excellent Text-UI based bootloader, compatible
>with damn near everything, written and sold by some company named V-Tech.
>Norton Commander is a very excellent Text-UI based file manager by John
>Socha released by Symantec Corporation. i recommend use of them both, but
>unforunately only one of them has been cloned by the GNU.. i was kind of
>hoping OpenBIOS would end up being a GNU-equivalent of System Commander.

Have you seen the GRUB bootloader? (maybe it looks similar) I suggest
getting the Debian grub sources[1] if you wish to try it on a Linux system
(the plain grub sources require booting from a floppy to install grub).
I am using that version of grub, and I consider it far superior to lilo.
grub has a small first stage which then loads a protected-mode second
stage, the second stage presents a nice full screen menu interface, the
interface also supports reconfiguring, creating new comfigurations, etc.

[1]<ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/hamm/hamm/source/admin/grub_0.4.orig.tar.gz> and
<ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/hamm/hamm/source/admin/grub_0.4-1.diff.gz>

--
Joel "Espy" Klecker    Debian GNU/Linux Developer    <mailto:jk at espy.org>
<http://espy.org/>                               <ftp://ftp.espy.org/pub>

---