[OpenBIOS] BIOS UI

nuke at bayside.net nuke at bayside.net
Fri Feb 27 15:33:23 CET 1998

i, for one, would like to state my opinion on the UI of OpenBIOS. i *DO NOT*
want a command-line driven one. if i have to RTFM just to do what Award does
with three keystrokes (autoconfigure a hard drive), i'll just give it up.
something nice could be done with say, arrow keys and highlight bars maybe? i
remember the old BBS days at 2400, with everyone trying to draw huge artistic
works out of the regular ASCII characters.. maybe the BIOS shouldn't resemble
some big elite ANSI, but that sort of interface is nice. and since this is
going to specifically *for* the x86 PC, why not let it get interesting? we can
use direct video memory access, no problem. earlier today, i saw an Award
system doing its POST, but it started as a blank.. *during* the memory test,
the whole thing quickly skidded onto the screen. that was pretty cool.

i suppose my point is that we shouldn't try and make this thing so scary and
esoteric.. true, many of us are unix people, but not everything has to be so
dull and cryptic. i think a command-line BIOS is a bad idea, unless it's made
*very* simple.

|        / |/ /_ __/ /_____         |       Nuke Skyjumper               |
|       /    / // /  '_/ -_)        |         "Master of the Farce"      |
|_     /_/|_/\_,_/_/\_\\__/        _|_           nuke at bayside.net       _|

---
OpenBIOS -- http://www.linkscape.net/openbios/
openbios-request at linkscape.net   Body: un/subscribe