[OpenBIOS] BIOS UI

Stephen Williams steve at icarus.icarus.com
Sat Feb 28 19:36:14 CET 1998

nuke at bayside.net said:
> i could code that in asm using about 10k. C? who knows.. note that i'm
> still for writing the entire thing in assembly. this is an issue we
> should address now, before we go and bloat things with gcc.

I use gcc (C++ in particular) in embedded applications, and I find that
the word "bloat" is not appropriate. Hell, the compiler writes better
assembly then I can.

It is true that certain C and C++ libraries are not only overkill, but
obese. That is not the fault of the compiler, and if you stick with the
freestanding standard very compact programs can be produced.

Doing without a compiler only makes sense for writing a few tricky functions
or impressing women.
steve at icarus.com              But I have promises to keep,
steve at picturel.com            and lines to code before I sleep,

---