[flashrom] Libflashrom development and integration with fwupd

artur.raglis at 3mdeb.com artur.raglis at 3mdeb.com
Wed Oct 24 12:57:44 CEST 2018

Hello,

We would like to contribute to the flashrom project by adding missing
libflashrom
features like queries, proper flashrom_shutdown etc.

Until now, I have implemented and tested missing libflashrom functions
from
query section [https://www.flashrom.org/Libflashrom] (based on patches
from
Łukasz Dmitrowski [https://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/4316/]). There
are 2
ways to get required information (e.g. supported programmers):

const char **flashrom_supported_programmers(void); //#1
int flashrom_supported_programmers(const char **supported_programmers);
//#2

I suppose that returning function status (#2) is not necessary with
query
functions, so I'll stick to the first approach.

What we want to accomplish is remote firmware updates for brand new
platforms
straight from the factory. To do so, libflashrom will be integrated with
fwupd
which would control all required lib resources. I have read the
conversation in
the https://www.mail-archive.com/flashrom@flashrom.org/msg13518.html
from which
it appears that process callbacks for the progress bar is still high
priority
task. Are there any new ideas / hints that we need to know for further
development?

Best regards,
Artur Raglis