[flashrom] Failing to WRITE an eeprom image to an "SST25VF512(A)" eeprom using a Bus Pirate (under Linux)

awokd awokd at danwin1210.me
Sat Oct 20 11:33:45 CEST 2018

Adam Ward:
> (Flashrom Logfile attached)
>
> I'm having great difficulty performing a "-w" operation on an SST25VF512(A)
> chip using my Bus Pirate under Linux.
>
> My hardware is as follows:
> A brand new EEPROM (fresh from the tube) is *carefully* soldered onto a SMD
> SOIC8 breakout board / programming harness I made, the ribbon going to the
> bus pirate is less than 80mm long.  There is a 0.1 uF decoupling ceramic
> cap very close to the power pins on the IC.  I have verified that the IC is
> receiving 3.3 V from the Bus Pirate.  There are no shorts or stray flying
> wires anywhere.  I have tried turning the speed all the way down to
> "spispeed=30k" and the behaviour is the same.  I believe the pinouts are
> all correct as it looks like the flashrom program can read data from the
> chips.
>
> I have tried 3 separate EEPROM chips (all the same type) just in cast I had
> exceeded the write endurance of the silicon.  They all fail in the same way
> but one of them managed to get to the 5th block before it hanged.
>
> The log file I have attached just stops at the last line and never gets any
> further.
>
> Can someone suggest a reason for this failure?  I really need to get this
> working.  I can provide photos of the setup if that would help.

You could try updating the BP firmware like
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=8498&start=90#p67351
. I've read the BP power output is relatively weak. Shouldn't matter if
the only thing it's powering is that chip but maybe try an external
power supply? Are your CS and WP pins tied appropriately?