[flashrom] flashrom error code message

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Fri Oct 19 10:33:35 CEST 2018

Hello Mian,

On 10/16/18 6:01 AM, MIAN VEREST wrote:
> Recently i start to use flashrom software, moreless in a winbond chip i
> receive this message, is probably IC could be damage?

it's very unlikely to damage a NOR flash.

> Verifying flash... FAILED at 0x00016650! Expected=0x3f, Found=0x3d, failed
> byte count from 0x00000000-0x007fffff: 0x2

That's just 2B that fail to verify. It could either mean that they
weren't written correctly, or that reading is flaky and the failure
is spurious.

Here's what I'd try: 1. Run verification again (at least 2 times), just
use -v instead of -w in your flashrom command. 2a. If you don't always
get the same result as above, then reading fails and you'll have to
enhance your physical setup somehow. 2b. If you always get the same
verification result, reading works, so you can just try again. Flash-
rom would only have to fix 2 bytes, that might just work.

Nico