[flashrom] Raspberry Pi spidev failure

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Thu Nov 22 10:28:37 CET 2018

Hi Sean,

> 1) I'm completely unable to access any SPI chips.  This appears to be
> due to a bug in the kernel driver, which always yanks the CS line high
> despite the cs_change set to 0.  A workaround I've come up with is to do
> everything as a single transaction, which seems to fix the problem on my
> device:

what you describe should be impossible, theoretically. CS high means do
nothing. If it stays that way it wouldn't matter if you do everything in
a single long "do nothing" or in separate shorter ones.

So... how do you sample the CS line?

And at which speed do you run the SPI bus? i.e. the `spispeed` parameter
to flashrom's linux_spi driver. If you didn't set any, it might just be
too fast.

> 2) The other issue is that my device appears to want SPI_MODE_1.  When I
> set SPI_MODE_1, it is able to detect and program the board, but fails to
> verify.  The image that gets loaded still works, but I'm unsure of
> what's causing the issue.

What device is it?

Nico