[flashrom] FOSDEM 2019 Hardware Enablement Devroom Call for Participation

Paul Kocialkowski contact at paulk.fr
Sat Nov 3 13:56:56 CET 2018

Hi,

The Hardware Enablement devroom is back for a second year at FOSDEM!
It will take place on Sunday 3 February 2019.

# Call for Participation

We are opening the call for participation to our devroom, with the
deadline for talk proposals set to Saturday 1 December 2018.

# Devroom Scope

This devroom covers topics related to hardware support and enablement
with free software. It includes the following topics:
* peripheral/controller firmwares
* boot software
* kernel drivers and hardware interfaces
* hardware-related adaptation in operating systems
* tools for firmware flashing
* tools for low-level development

Despite this large scope, the focus of the devroom is set on
highlighting the technical aspects of the hardware and its enablement
in free projects, rather than the specific applications and use cases
that benefit from it. We also want to avoid purely commercial vague
talks with marketing content, which leave little place to technical
aspects.

This year, we are looking to particularly highlighting free software
outside of the operating system boundaries, especially with boot
software as well as controller and peripheral firmwares.

# Talk Format

Since no Embedded devroom is taking place this year (and our devroom
also covers embedded devices), we are expecting a significant number of
submissions.

In order to cover as much ground as we can, a new talk will be
scheduled every half-hour, so accepted talks will follow this format:

 20 minutes for the talk
+ 5 minutes for questions
+ 5 minutes for speaker setup

We ask speakers to be present in the room before their talk so that
speaker setup can go smoothly.

# Submission

Talks that fit in our devroom's scope can be submitted to the FOSDEM
Pentabarf interface at https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/FOSDEM19

We encourage reusing accounts from previous years instead of creating
new ones:
* lost password: https://penta.fosdem.org/user/forgot_password
* new Account: https://penta.fosdem.org/user/new_account/FOSDEM19

Here are a few guidelines when submitting a talk:
* select the Hardware Enablement devroom as track
* include an abstract for every submission and optionally a full
  description
* make sure your contact details are up to date

# Video

Talks will be streamed live during the event and recorded. They will be
available under a Creative Commons Attribution (BY) license later.

# Contact

For more information or questions about the devroom and this CFP, feel
free to email hardware-devroom-manager at fosdem.org

We're looking forward to lots of interesting proposals and hoping to
see you all in Brussels at the event!

Cheers,

Paul for the Hardware Enablement devroom