[flashrom] Misleading successful message if you do not specify option --image

R. Diez rdiezmail-flashrom at yahoo.de
Wed Jan 10 16:20:18 CET 2018

Hi all:

The behaviour of option --image has changed between versions 0.9.9 and
1.0.0.

In the past, I wasn't specifying any --image, and flashrom just flashed
the one and only that I had defined in my layout file.

Now, flashrom just states that the chip content is identical, which is
not the case. This is the output:

--------8<--------8<--------8<--------
flashrom v1.0 on Windows 6.1 (x86)
flashrom is free software, get the source code at https://flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.
Found Macronix flash chip "MX25L6406E/MX25L6408E" (8192 kB, SPI) on
ft2232_spi.
Reading old flash chip contents... done.
Erasing and writing flash chip...
Warning: Chip content is identical to the requested image.
Erase/write done.

That is misleading. If the newer flashrom does not default to any image
(or maybe to all images?), and the user specifies a layout file but not
--image arguments, it should then fail with "no layout image specified"
or a similar error message.

Best regards,
   rdiez