[flashrom] ACER C720 chromebook (Peppy) / Warning: Management Engine region (0x00001000-0x001fffff) is locked /

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Sat Feb 17 15:26:49 CET 2018

Hello Robert,

On 14.02.2018 22:33, Robert Rimke wrote:
> When flashing my peppy chromebook to the latest coreboot-peppy version
> today, I can observe that flashrom complains about something like an
> incomplete flash operation due to Intel ME.

The flash chip is partitioned for multiple purposes. One region contains
the Intel ME firmware and is usually locked (i.e. not even readable from
the host). This makes working with flashrom less comfortable.

> Are you aware if my peppy will survive the following command, which - if
> I understood correctly - will try to force the update?
>
> sudo flashrom -w coreboot-peppy-seabios-latest.rom -V -f -p ich_spi

This shouldn't hurt, though it won't do anything anyway (you should read
the error message more carefully and read the flashrom manpage).

You have to options, 1. use the chromium flashrom which already does a
lot automatically, or 2. update flashrom and add some parameters.

For the latter, this should work to write the BIOS region:

   flashrom -p internal:ich_spi_force=yes -N --ifd -i bios -w ...

Nico