[flashrom] AT25SF041 chip support

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Tue Dec 4 21:07:03 CET 2018

Hello Adam,

On 04.12.18 08:26, adam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to manage AT25SF041 using FT4232 MiniModule programmer. I'm
> using flashrom v1.0 on Linux 4.15.0-42-generic (x86_64) compiled from
> sources. Trying to erase chip at first and get this output:
>
> ./flashrom -p ft2232_spi:type=4232H,port=A -Ef

forcing erase is futile, flashrom shouldn't ever do that.

> Using clock_gettime for delay loops (clk_id: 1, resolution: 1ns).
> Found Atmel flash chip "unknown Atmel SPI chip" (0 kB, SPI) on ft2232_spi.

This is likely a physical issue with your hardware setup. SPI is not
a bus where you can just plug things together like USB for instance.
Signal integrity is a delicate thing with SPI.

An easy workaround is often to lower the transfer speed. For your
programmer there's a divisor option. IIRC add `,divisor=6` to the
programmer argument (valid divisors are equal numbers >= 2, the base
frequency is 60MHz so 6 means 10MHz SPI clock).

If that doesn't help, please attach a log file (add `-o logfile.txt`
to your flashrom command line) to your next email. And tell us more
about your hardware setup (e.g. how the flash chip is connected, what
else is connected, is the chip on some kind of mainboard etc.).

Hope that helps,
Nico