[flashrom] WinBond Chip Support

Jordan Hill jordz.hill at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 14:40:14 CEST 2018

Hello there,

I have a Dell Inspiron 5559 Laptop which contains a Winbond 25Q128FVSQ
Chip. I tried running flashrom natively on the laptop and got the usual EC
warning so i stopped there. I then desoldered the SMD chip off the
motherboard and hooked it up to a RPI and connected it through the SPI
protocol. Flashrom then recognized it as a "Generic" flash chip and would
not allow the data to be read as it was still unrecognized. Unfortunately I
do not have any logs. I believe that this chip is on the list of supported
hardware yet it was not recognized in flashrom. I am using the latest
version as of April 18th 2018. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thank You