[flashrom] Qflashrom or other GUI

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 13:47:39 CEST 2017

On 7 September 2017 at 12:26, The_Raven Raven <originalraven at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have no problems with CLI, but i think a lot of users like to have a GUI.

Completely off topic for this list, and feel free to tell me I'm
crazy, but for Fedora and RHEL my stock answer is that users should be
using fwupd rather than the low level tools like flashrom and dfu-util
directly. In the GNOME desktop the Software Center automatically
downloads updates and shows them in the GUI for users to apply with
just one click, and it would be pretty simple to design a "power-user"
GUI around fwupd if you wanted more control over the flashing process
or to see what upgrades and downgrades are available for each device.
The downside is you have to worry about matching devices to compatible
firmwares if you just want to flash a .bin (it's really just one GUID
string that has to match) but I think it's so much more powerful and
much safer for users.

If this is something that sounds interesting to anyone please let me
know and I can ask the GNOME UX designers to start thinking about
designs.

Richard