[flashrom] Future flashrom development (Stefan's PoV I)

David Hendricks david.hendricks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 01:14:04 CEST 2017

Thanks for the detailed write-up. I suppose there's another part coming so
I don't want to get too deep into discussion just yet, but one part in
particular caught my eye:

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Stefan Tauner <stefan.tauner at gmx.at> wrote:

> While there was a bunch of patches that have been piled up back then it
> was less of a problem then the increasing divergence between the
> chromiumos fork and upstream. Thus we have discussed ways to converge
> that (by pulling changes mainly from upstream into chromium but also
> vice versa) and also increase the pace of merging stuff into upstream
> later. This was still with no intention to switch to git because of
> Carl-Daniel's concerns.

I'm surprised that you think that chromiumos's divergence is a *worse*
problem than the huge backlog of upstream patches. The chromiumos fork is
self-contained, has its own review system, its own testing, and is targeted
at a narrow set of devices. I don't understand how it could have been a
problem for upstream and would be interested if you can elaborate on this
point.

FWIW I did try pushing some features from chromiumos to upstream, but like
other patches they never really got anywhere. I also tried working with
Carl-Daniel for a couple months to sync the trees, but that effort didn't
get very far.