[flashrom] non-working board - asus p2-99 - failed to detect chip

Branden Waldner scruffy99 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 05:54:38 CET 2017

Flashrom isn't able to detect the flash chip on this board. I've tried
while running factory asus p2-99 firmware, with p2b firmware, and with
coreboot. This board seems use the same pcb layout as the p2b, but
with 440zx northbridge whichs supports only 2 ram slots instead of 3
and with the hardware monitor chip being optional.

The vendor aflash tool works while running an asus bios - both p2-99
and p2b, but not with coreboot.

I've tried using the piix gpo board enable function on all possible
gpos - high and low, but didn't get anywhere, besides finding out gpo0
is the fan.

Since the original p2b testing seems to be fairly old - and this board
is basically the same - should I test an old version of flashrom? I
was going to try 0.9.0, but it does not build nicely, it stops with
compiler warnings. Probably could still build it with some cflag
adjustments, but I wasn't sure if that was the only problem.

I'm mostly just posting this to be compete about it, though any
recommendations would be appreciated.

ps. The old post I had about a P4S5MG/GL+ board with SiS 650 chipset
not working turned out to be the flash chip failing. Figured I might
as well mention it.