[flashrom] Getting inconsistent reads with a Raspberry Pi

David Hobach tripleh at hackingthe.net
Fri Jul 14 18:30:40 CEST 2017

For reference:

Apparently the Pi didn't provide enough current to drive the chip and
whatever else hang in the motherboard together with it.

So how I got it done:

1. remove the AC adapter & all batteries incl. CMOS from the laptop

2. attach Pomona clip incl 5 wires for CS -> CE0, SO -> MISO, SI ->
MOSI, SCLK -> SCLK, GND -> GND (do NOT connect Vcc, HOLD and WP seem
optional as the motherboard appears to drive them to 3V3)

3. attach the AC adapter & wait for the laptop to boot (if it doesn't,
try it with the keyboard attached)

4. laptop states that there's a md5sum error with the CMOS (the CMOS
battery is removed after all)

5. measure CS on the chip - if it's constant 3V3 apparently no one else
is driving the chip (might make more sense to do that in a first run
without wires attached)

6. power up the Pi and read multiple times, compare the images afterwards

7. power down the pi, then the laptop

I didn't test writing.

Maybe that'll help someone with the same issue.

KR
David