[flashrom] GSoC conclusion

Hatim Kanchwala hatim at hatimak.me
Thu Sep 1 07:15:38 CEST 2016

Hello!

The GSoC results are out and my mentors have let me pass. I sincerely
thank my mentors, Stefan and David, for giving me the opportunity to
work with flashrom and giving me the benefit of doubt in the final
evaluation.

In the final 2-3 weeks my communication towards my mentors had fallen.
I had been suffering from Typhoid which adversely affected my work,
but I had failed to communicate this to my mentor. I had decided then
that I could manage to work without letting my illness affect me. In
part it was over-estimation of my well being and in part it was the
shame of not having worked sufficiently that prevented me from
communicating. While I am thankfully fully recovered by now, I accept
that it was a grave mistake on my part and I take responsibility for
that.

I hold immense respect for Stefan and David not only as my mentors but
as very nice individuals, and having disappointed them is an utter
failure for me. I have promised earlier, and I would like to
re-iterate that I am committed to contributing to flashrom. I
understand that no matter what I write or promise any further, I
cannot regain that trust of my mentors, and of the community, unless I
start delivering on those. On this I will finally say that flashrom is
an endeavour I will continue to pursue, that I shall communicate
better and that I shall regularly work on patches.

David, I have received emails for your feedback on GitHub. Thanks for
sending them in and I'll soon begin incorporating those as well. In
the spirit of full disclosure, I will also add that since I was
afflicted with the illness I have also missed several of my classes
and labs in college. I have been trying to clear the backlog and
midterm college exams are staring at me at a week's distance. I have
allocated time for flashrom, but it may fluctuate. I shall be able to
devote a bigger chunk of my time and be more consistent in a week or
two.

For the past few days I have been facing difficulty in connecting to
IRC via IRCCloud, which offers persistent connections. So, if there
were any messages directed to me, I apologize for having missed them.

Once again I'd like to thank my mentors and the community. I have been
able to flourish professionally and more importantly to me, I have
built friendships (which I will work hard to renew and regain). It is
difficult for me to express in words my gratitude and experience.
Thanks for your time.

Bye,
Hatim