[flashrom] [coreboot] Support for Gigabyte ga-ma78gm-us2h?

Mike Banon mikebdp2 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 02:31:54 CEST 2016

Get a hardware programmer for BIOS chips (e.g. cheap CH341A) together
with SOIC8 test clip (if your type of BIOS chip is indeed SOIC8, I
just looked at some photos of your board online...) and do In-System
Programming with a flashrom. Thanks to a test clip you will not need
to solder your board in order to flash a BIOS.

Nothing can stop a hardware programmer ;) You could backup both of
your current BIOSes and replace everything with coreboot to get rid of
original BIOS warnings/checksums , and if you would like to restore
the original BIOS back it will be really easy.

Now, what could be tried if a current revision of coreboot does not
work for you?

1) Check what is the date of last successful board status report. At
your case, I see that nobody submitted a report for your board, so you
probably need to choose this day as the day of support addition ( Aug
17 13:22:40 2010 ) and test if it worked at this time or maybe 1 month
after this time (if a full support has been added gradually)

2) You divide the time between current date and "1)" date by 2 - to
get a "test date" - then download a coreboot/seabios repositories at
this "test date", build and test it. If it works --> you go forward in
time, if it does not work --> you go back in time; again, dividing the
remaining range by two. You have to go through a long history in your
case, 2000 days, but if you are always dividing by two its less than
2048 = 2^11 so you could find the last day it worked in 11 tries

3) So you found the last day, and then the last commit when it worked.
Now you see what commit broke a support for your board, and could
either live with old coreboot stuff, or figure out what changes need
to be made to newer coreboot - so that your board works, while not
breaking a support for other boards (IMPORTANT)

Best regards,
Mike Banon