[flashrom] [coreboot] ft4232-based spi programmer

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Mar 16 00:38:42 CET 2016

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 19:14:52 -0400
Paul Fox <pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us> wrote:

> stefan wrote:
>  > On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:00:05 -0400
>  > pgf at foxharp.boston.ma.us (Paul Fox) wrote:
>  >
>  > > +	// f = ftdi_usb_open(ftdic, 0x0403, 0x6010); // FT2232
>  > > +	f = ftdi_usb_open(ftdic, 0x0403, 0x6011); // FT4232
>  > > +
>  > > +	if (f < 0 && f != -5) {
>  > > +		fprintf(stderr, "unable to open ftdi device: %d (%s)\n", f,
>  > > +				ftdi_get_error_string(ftdic));
>  > > +		exit(-1);
>  > > +	}
>  >
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > been a while since this went in... however the exemption for the -5
>  > error (failed to claim the device) was never discussed nor documented
>  > ever since. Can you remember why you put it there, Paul?
>
> a while, indeed.  that patch is like 117 years old in internet years!

And for that it was an awesomely fast reply, thank you :)

> i've looked at the code i have in my old working directory, and at a
> couple of local copies of ftdi.c that i think i was building with,
> and...  i have no clue.
>
> i can only assume the error return was spurious for some reason, but
> i really don't recall.  sorry!

NP, I'll just document it that way for now to make clear there are no
good reasons to do it like that. However, I think it might be useful
on OSX or Windows maybe... in any case I don't think it is worth any
potential regressions just to do "the right thing".