[flashrom] RFC: New testing script with remote test capabilities and region awareness

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jul 5 09:11:31 CEST 2016

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 22:22:29 -0700
David Hendricks <dhendrix at chromium.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> As part of an effort underway to get chromium.org's flashrom sync'd with
> upstream (for real), I have written an entirely new test script to help get
> thru regression testing. It's still rather fugly and will likely go thru
> several more revisions, but is currently usable for all major use cases I
> could think of and would benefit from some early feedback.
>
> I wrote up a document with usage examples here: https://goo.gl/3jNoL7 .
> Long-term the plan is to migrate this to the flashrom wiki.
>
> There were a few "must haves" for this script in the near-term:
> - Region awareness. The script understands how to use layout files and
> flashmaps (for Chromebooks). Descriptor awareness is on the TODO list for
> Intel platforms.
> - Can control flashrom on a remote host.
> - Can utilize an external programmer in addition to the native programmer
> on the target machine. This allows us to verify changes made to programmer
> code since one programmer can be considered to be trusted while the other
> can have code that was modified.

Cool, something like that is on my long-term todo list... (with some
additional test stand hardware).
I don't have time to look at the code right now so just some quick
question: the primary/secondary programmer scheme is used to verify one
while the other is used as kind of golden sample, right?
It might make sense to not limit this to two programmers but have one
golden sample and an unlimited programmers to actually test.
(The hardware i was talking about above would be a PCB that can be
remotely cross-switched between any of the attached programmers and
multiple flash chips (e.g. one at45db, several ordinary *25*, some
newer *25* with 4B addressing etc.)