[flashrom] Donations in the form of personal bug bounties

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Jan 12 23:04:01 CET 2016

Hi Ruben,

On 12.01.2016 21:14, Stefan Tauner wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 09:37:24 +0100
> "R. Diez" <rdiezmail-flashrom at yahoo.de> wrote:
>
>> Would something in the way of bug bounties help?
> I can only speak for myself, but it would not motivate me to work more
> on flashrom simply because motivation is not the problem and it
> certainly would not make me work less on my day job (unless it would
> be nearly what I make there which it would not :).

Indeed. Those who work on flashrom are very motivated, and the limiting
constraint in our case is the very limited spare time we have.
It's not even such a big problem to find someone with enough motivation
and spare time to write code.
The really hard part is reviewing the code to make sure it is 100%
bug-free. People expect flashrom to be 100% reliable even if the
hardware itself has quirks or is unreliable. That makes reviews so
time-consuming and hard.

That said, we do also appreciate people who regularly test flashrom with
their hardware. That helps us to verify that not only the core, but also
the programmer drivers and chip drivers are solid. Maybe that would be a
way you could contribute.