[flashrom] Proposed changes to flashrom hosting and workflow

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Jan 2 22:11:57 CET 2016

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016 16:07:23 +0100
Nico Huber <nico.h at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 31.12.2015 19:18, Stefan Tauner wrote:
> >> For those who missed it on IRC, Stefan (Reinauer) has proposed retiring SVN
> >> and patch work in favor of Git and (likely) Gerrit + Jenkins. Maintaining
> >> SVN and Patchwork represents a surprisingly large maintenance burden on top
> >> of Git and Gerrit that coreboot uses. Additionally, many in the community
> >> work around SVN's limitations by mirroring the project at places like
> >> Github anyway.
> >
> > My counterproposal is to use gitub instead of Gerrit.
> >  - I really can't stand gerrit's interface.
> >  - We (relatively) often get patches from one-time contributors which
> >    is way easier on github because "everybody" has an account there and
> >    knows how to work with it (and if not it is straight forward
> >    compared to gerrit).
> I don't think one-time contributors always have a github account. Also,
> in most cases (I might be wrong here), one-time contributors don't care
> much about a review, so we could just forward their patches to gerrit.
> Can we not?

I don't think that your premise holds. One-time contributors not
necessarily dump a patch and then run away. Often they want to add
support for a programmer they need and react timely on reviews but are
not interested in contributing anything further than that. I deem these
people quite valuable to the development of flashrom because they often
show a different perspective.

So yes, we could always take patches in multiple ways (I presume you
meant additionally by mail as it has been so far) and forward it to
whatever reviewing platform we use, but if possible I'd like to use just
one easily approachable way to keep them in one place.

> >  - The only reason to avoid github for me would be due to its
> >    proprietary nature and related problems (lock-in etc).
> >    Please give me other reasons if you prefer coreboot.org-hosted
> >    gerrit over github.
> >
> Just speaking for myself here. Also I might have a github account I
> can't remember right now, my contributions to flashrom would be less
> if I have to adapt to another (non-gerrit) workflow. Just a prediction,
> I don't even like gerrit.

You have not spoken up so far. What would your preferred flow look
like - apart from merging your patches waaaay faster than we did so
far? ;)