[flashrom] BIOS update using flashrom on an UEFI system

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Thu Feb 18 23:57:00 CET 2016

Hi Lakesh,
Did you ever find a solution for this? Probably the quickest solution is to
figure out where the config data resides and write to the regions around it
using a layout file.

It's an interesting problem that I suspect we'll see more often in the
future, not just with UEFI. Storage of config data on the firmware ROM is
becoming more common, and the firmware update utility of choice needs to
become more aware of what portions of the ROM are safe to overwrite.

For ChromeOS platforms, we added a blob that maps the ROM content
(flashmap, or fmap for short) so that our update scripts know which regions
of the ROM to target when updating.

I'm not sure what the best way to do this for other systems, though. AFAIK
this is all vendor-specific.

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 6:21 PM, <Lakesh_Sharma at dell.com> wrote:

> In an UEFI based system (x86_64, Rangeley cpu), the bios bootup option
> shows each UEFI partition. Where as in legacy bios mode, the bios bootup
> menu
> would show just SSD, USB etc.
> In case of UEFI system, the boot-order, boot-current etc (i.e. UEFI config
> data) is stored
> in bios area ?
>
> When we update bios using flashrom, we are seeing that the UEFI config
> data is getting lost/over-written.
> Because of which, bios does not know that it is running on uefi system and
> probably tries to invoke
> grub using legacy way, which hangs.
>
> How can we instruct flashrom to not over-write UEFI config data in bios
> area.
>

> regards
> lakesh

David Hendricks (dhendrix)