[flashrom] Writing to a specific Flash region with Layout approach

David Hendricks dhendrix at chromium.org
Mon Aug 1 22:01:40 CEST 2016

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 9:59 AM, Pradeep Ch <shanmugp at sysargus.com> wrote:

> How do I pad the bootloader. img to 8MBytes ? But, still it occupies the
> first 106976 Bytes right ? Remaining space is empty I suppose.

To create a 8MB file full of 0xff bytes:
dd if=/dev/zero bs=1k count=8192 2>/dev/null | tr "\000" "\377" > test.bin

>From there, you can use dd with skip=, seek=, and conv=notrunc to place
your content wherever you need to in the image. For example,
dd if=test1.bin of=test.bin bs=1 conv=notrunc
dd if=test2.bin of=test.bin bs=1 seek=$((0x1a1e0)) conv=notrunc

Thanks.
> On Aug 1, 2016 9:08 PM, "Urja Rannikko" <urjaman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 10:33 AM, Pradeep Ch <shanmugp at sysargus.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am attempting to write to a flashrom using layout/region approach.
>> > The NOR flash size is 8MBytes. The file size I am writing is 106976
>> Bytes.
>> >
>> > The rom.layout file contents are:
>> >  00000000:0001a1df test1
>> >  0001a1e0:007fffff test2
>> >
>> > The command I am using is:
>> > ./flashrom -p ft2232_spi:type=arm-usb-ocd --layout rom.layout --image
>> test1
>> > -w bootloader.img
>> >
>> > The error I am getting is :
>> > Using region: "test1".
>> > Calibrating delay loop... OK.
>> > Found Eon flash chip "EN25Q64" (8192 kB, SPI) on ft2232_spi.
>> > Error: Image size (106976 B) doesn't match the flash chip's size
>> (8388608
>> > B)!
>> >
>> > Please let me know about the error.
>>
>> The current layout system will only limit the actually written area,
>> not change the requirements of the flash file being the size of the
>> chip, so in this case you'd need to pad the bootloader.img to 8MB.

David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.