[flashrom] Trying to flash coreboot onto on-board SPI chip of HP Envy H87 haswell chipset.

Arpita Biswas arpita.biswas07 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 21:26:37 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I am trying to update BIOS with coreboot onto HP Envy H87 haswell chipset
(ipm87_mp)  <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6392VN4810>.
I am using Dediprog + SOIC 8-pin flash clip for flashing the SPI chip
(W25Q64). However dediprog doesn't detect the chip when it's soldered
on-board. On removing the chip from board, I can detect/read/write onto it
without any issues.

I've tried (and failed) with the following configurations :
(1) SPI pin ------> Dediprog : /CS ---> CS, DO (IO1) ---> MISO, /WP (IO2)
---> 3.3V, GND ---> GND, DI (IO0) ---> MOSI, CLK ---> CLK, /HOLD (IO3) --->
3.3V, VCC ---> 3.3V with motherboard power ON.

(2) Same config as above but I tried to isolate the chip by removing CMOS
battery + removing jumper on SPI header + powering OFF the motherboard.

(3) Similar as (1) and (2), but let /HOLD, /Vcc and /WP float.

(4) I tried using flashrom on the box too as internal programmer, but it
did not recognize the SPI chip. Error log says "Found Programmer flash chip
"Opaque flash chip" (8192 kB, Programmer-specific)."

I've a feeling that something on the motherboard is interfering with the
SPI chip since an off-board chip is working fine. Does anybody have any
pointers on what could be going wrong ?

Thanks in advance,
- Arpita