[flashrom] trouble flashing EN25S64 on Lenovo N21 chromebook

Kyle Stanevich kstanevich at imsa.edu
Mon Oct 5 01:22:35 CEST 2015

Hi,

I am still having trouble flashing the EN25S64 chip on my Lenovo N21
chromebook. I have connected a raspberry pi to the EN25S64 on the Lenovo
N21 motherboard chip via this clip (
http://www.amazon.com/Qunqi-Soic8-Flash-Clips-Programmer/dp/B014IXR9RG). On
the raspberry pi (which is running raspbian) I run the command "sudo
./flashrom -VVV -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0 -w ~/Downloads/bios.bin". I
have removed the write protect screw, but I don't think that matters
because I am connecting to the chip directly.

I have tried to compile google's (chromiumos') version of flashrom, but I
could not get it to compile due to many errors. Therefore, I am using the
latest version of flashrom which compiles fine.

It seams to me that the problem is there is something not working correctly
writing/erasing/reading to the chip. Erase functions 1 through 3 all fail
when using the command shown above. It hangs up on erase function 2 for a
very long time. I had to run it overnight until erase function 2 failed. I
have tried running the same command again, and it is currently still stuck
at "Trying erase function 2... 0x000000-0x7fffff:E". It has been stuck at
this line for 16 hours, with the raspberry pi at 100% cpu usage the entire
time.

The line "This flash part has status UNTESTED for operations: PROBE READ
ERASE WRITE" indicates to me that this chip has not yet been tested. I
would like to help out with testing for this chip since I have one and have
the hardware required to flash it. What can I do to help out?

Thanks,
Kyle Stanevich