[flashrom] Support for programming device on SPI via USB bridge?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Mar 25 23:13:31 CET 2015

On Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:46:41 -0000
"Robert Selby" <Robert.Selby at snellgroup.com> wrote:

> Hi, just found FlashRom and looks to be a good base to start from for my
> needs.
>
> I have a USB->SPI bridge device (MCP2210) and on it's SPI bus is a
> "S25FL128S" device.
>
> It looks as though there is no direct support for accessing via the
> MCP2210.
>
> I assume that I would need to write a "programmer" to get this to work
> ???
>
> I have a MCP2210 access library that seems to work well via
> "/dev/hidraw".
>
> Any advice/recommendations very welcome.
>
> It may be that someone has already done this ...

I don't know that device at all, but there are various programmer
modules in flashrom that can give you hints how to add support for it.
"/dev/hidraw" sounds as if it is Linux-specific therefore I suggest you
take a look at linux_spi.c and mstarddc_spi.c.

To get an idea of how to hook up the programmer and what else is
necessary for a complete patch you can take a look at the patch that
added the mstar ddc driver:
http://code.coreboot.org/p/flashrom/source/commit/1860/
or the preliminary (and probably broken) programmer driver creation
script: http://patchwork.coreboot.org/patch/3836/