[flashrom] [coreboot] New flashrom logo - fonts

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Mar 13 14:36:35 CET 2015

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 08:37:49 +0100
Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> wrote:

> On 11.03.2015 14:30, Stefan Tauner wrote:
> > This will be the last poll that evaluates specific features of the
> > logo. There may be another one to determine the final design.
> >
> > I have selected a variety of fonts that I think are OK for a logo in
> > terms of thickness and "playfulness". Not all of them are free but I
> > have included them in the poll anyway to get a better feeling about
> > general preferences.
> >
> > http://epicdecide.com/ad3645e6-9a70-4cce-bd05-bf0e66e668e9/
>
> This is the first poll where I think that all of the options suck.
> Traditionally, flashrom is written all lowercase and I would love to
> keep it that way. However, the letter "f" in the logos sucks in all
> lowercase variants because of a IMHO way too high lateral stroke. That's
> something I didn't like about the intermediate official logo, by the way.
>
> Does anyone know a font where the lowercase "f" doesn't look like a
> design error?

Well, that's more than subjective because the stroke is in the upper
third or even quarter in almost all common fonts. And those where it is
lower are usually completely unusable for a logo (extremely squiggly).

However, I am aware of one font, that might work... I have used it for
a caps lettering already: Chaerilidae
I have attached a lower-case variant with that font. What do you think
about it?

Other suggestions for fonts are welcome...