[flashrom] PLCC chip flashing via Raspberry GPIO

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Mar 3 02:46:53 CET 2015

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 03:07:09 +0700
Darmawan Salihun <darmawan.salihun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it now possible to flash PLCC chip with Raspberry Pi?
>
> AFAIK, SPI chips are already supported but I have a PLCC flash chip
> right now to work with (Winbond W39V040FC).

PLCC (the physical package) support different protocols, cf.
http://flashrom.org/Technology#Communication_bus_protocol
The W39V040FC is a FWH chip and thus could in theory be accessed with a
RaspberryPi - it has enough GPIO ports. I am not sure if they can be
toggled fast enough, but I'd guess so. The problem is rather to write
the respective software/driver - AFAIK there is none yet.

It would definitely be easier to get a similar board and try
hotswapping the flash chip.