[flashrom] Sweating by programming SPIs

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Jun 15 23:08:39 CEST 2015

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 23:00:01 +0200
jackjean <jackjean at vivaldi.net> wrote:

> Hello, and thank you for your appreciated support.
> I confirm that pins 3 and 7 were free, according the advises from an ASUS laptops forum.
> I than connected both pins 3 (HOLD) and 7 (WP) to the 3.3V.
> Having also doubts on the Winbond SPI, I choosed to replace it by a Macronix.
> First strange reaction is that flashrom recognises 3 possible different chips :
>
> Than I choosed to add the "-c MX25L3205(A)" as option in the flashrom commands
> I tried than to launch the writing command, but returns allways a fail, as you will read in attached log file.
> […]
> Erasing and writing flash chip... Trying erase function 0... 0x000000-0x00ffff:EFAILED at 0x00001000! Expected=0xff, Found=0x20, failed byte count from 0x00000000-0x0000ffff: 0x8c6a
> ERASE FAILED!
> Reading current flash chip contents...

Hello,

flashrom does not find 3 chips but a chip with three possible/matching
definitions and it can not distinguish them so you have to tell it
which one you have. You chose the wrong one and thus get an error for
the first erase function. However, the other erase functions would
(most probably) have worked. Either choose the right one or let
flashrom finish. :)