[flashrom] Sweating by programming SPIs

jackjean jackjean at vivaldi.net
Thu Jun 11 22:09:55 CEST 2015

Good evening all,

After heaving sweated for months, I finally call for help at the
community...

My target is to program several SPI chips in order to repare some ASUS
laptops, which was solved before by purchasing pre-programmed BIOS Chips

I first tried to access with an SOIC "gripper" clip, directly on the
chip being soldered on the main board.

Facing to a lot of failures (unknown chip), I decided than to work on
de-soldered chips.

This allowed me to extract some dumps on failing and fresh purchased
SPIs.

Now, I have a satisfying database of complete images of BIOS, that I
expect to use for programming new chips according each need.

At that point begin my problem :

After a abort during the first trial, I decided to erase my chip, and
got the following advise :

_"C:\Flashrom>flashrom -E -p buspirate_spi:dev=/COM3,spispeed=1M_
_flashrom v0.9.6.1-r1704 on Windows 6.1 (x86)_
_flashrom is free software, get the source code at
http://www.flashrom.org [1]_

_Calibrating delay loop... OK._
_Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q32.V" (4096 kB, SPI) on buspirate_spi._
_Erasing and writing flash chip... FAILED at 0x00000800! Expected=0xff,
Found=0x00, failed byte count from 0x00000000-0x00000fff: 0x600_
_ERASE FAILED!_
_Reading current flash chip contents..."_

Than I decided to purchase a DIP to SOIC adaptor in order to eliminate
my doubts on the connection by gripper. Now the chips I use are soldered

I tried to write again the BIOS image and got the following after a very
long time of writing operation (more than one hour) and using the
following command :

_"flashrom -w flash.bin -VVV -p buspirate_spi:dev=/COM3,spispeed=1M"_

The reslult is :

_"Your flash chip is in an unknown state._
_Please report this on IRC at chat.freenode.net (channel #flashrom) or_
_mail flashrom at flashrom.org, thanks!_
_buspirate_sendrecv: write 1, read 0 Sending 0x00_
_buspirate_sendrecv: write 0, read 4 , receiving 0x42 0x42 0x49 0x4f_
_buspirate_sendrecv: write 0, read 1 , receiving 0x31_
_Raw bitbang mode version 1_
_buspirate_sendrecv: write 1, read 0 Sending 0x0f_
_Bus Pirate shutdown completed."_

Considering than I took every possible care on the connection between
Buspirate and SPI, and having a satisfying reading result (dumps are
checked with Hex Editor and look OK), I am stucked at that point...

I would appreciate any support from you.

Thanks !

J.

Links:
------