[flashrom] "FAILED:<Sorry I dont have board names>"!

Scott Emmart (semmart) semmart at micron.com
Tue Jun 9 03:46:23 CEST 2015

I have some additional information from Erickson. I appreciate any help you can provide.
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2448L v2 @ 1.80GHz
E5-2600 v1 Sandybridge and v2 Ivybridage platforms also have seen slow flash issue in Numonyx part.

Chipset
Code name CaveCreek DH8900, ICH9 compatible.

-------------------------
Send OPCODE 0xC7 to flash chip ask for bulk erase, sometimes it work, sometimes it stuck no response back.
Same experiment for Spansion flash works fine.
-----------------------

Open source tool flashrom clear SRWD and BP0, BP1, BP2 and BP3 bits of Status Register prior to erase and write for sure.

Flashrom for "Micron/Numonyx/ST" go 4KB subsector erase in default.  Enforce OPCOED 0xD8 performing 64KB erase

“bulk erase” is unstable, and SPI bus stuck in SCIP SPI Cycle in progress.  If you have time, we can co-work debugging it about bulk erase bus cycle jam issue.

Found Micron/Numonyx/ST flash chip "N25Q128..3E" (16384 kB, SPI) mapped at physical address 0x00000000ff000000.
Reading old flash chip contents... done.
Erasing and writing flash chip... timeout, ICH9_REG_SSFS=0xf8007401
spi_chip_erase_c7 failed during command execution
Reading current flash chip contents... Error: SCIP never cleared!
Can't read anymore! Aborting.
FAILED!
Uh oh. Erase/write failed. Checking if anything has changed.
Reading current flash chip contents... Error: SCIP never cleared!
Can't even read anymore!
Your flash chip is in an unknown state.
Get help on IRC at chat.freenode.net (channel #flashrom) or
mail flashrom at flashrom.org with the subject "FAILED: <your board name>"!