[flashrom] Path syntax for Linux Flashrom?

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Wed Jul 22 21:45:49 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 9:56 AM, a webuser <awebuser at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I've found lots of helpful info on using Flashrom for updating an HP
> xw9400 BIOS using an Ubuntu Live DVD, but the commands never seem to
> include any path information!
>
> For example:
>
> flashrom -r biosbackup.rom
> flashrom -E
> flashrom -w 7D6_0403.bin
>
> In the first and third lines, where does Flashrom assume the files are
> located if no path is supplied?  If I install a floppy to read/write to,
> what is the path syntax?

Flashrom will error out gracefully and tell you that you need to specify an
argument to -r or -w (this is just how getopt works). Whatever argument is
supplied is treated as the path to the file you wish to read to or write
from.

> About the Ubuntu Live DVD, could someone add a little more info to these
> cryptic instructions to install Flashrom (is this multiple steps)?
>

>    - install flashrom (open a terminal from the start menu, do *sudo su*)
>    using *apt-get install flashrom*

Seems straight-forward to me. What's cryptic about this?

If you'd like more info about the "apt" command, Ubuntu has a few nice
pages on that subject such as https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto
.

--
David Hendricks (dhendrix)