[flashrom] user question about the ITE IT8518E SuperIO / EC

hzh hzh at chemie.uni-leipzig.de
Mon Jul 13 21:14:01 CEST 2015

Hello flashrom / coreboot / lm_sensors team

I'm not even completely sure if I am on the correct mailinglist for my
question so please excuse if I asked in the wrong category.

Well, my question is quite generic. I have a laptop here which would
in theory be very fine for Coreboot with a freedom OS. It's a HP 635.
It's based mainly on AMD tech (E-350, A50M chipset or something close
to that), Realtek (NIC, card reader) and Atheros (wireless)
components. So kind of everything works. Well. Nearly.
You know, there was some sort of chips, that never really cause me
trouble in the past. They were there and would just always work: The
Super IO chips. ITE, Fintek, Winbond, whatever. But now there is this

ITE IT8518E Super IO
(correctly it's an EC)

which just won't seem to have a driver or documentation. HP wasn't
really of help here as far as I reached anyone there. ITE was slow to
respond and I don't how if I can just ask them "hey, it would be nice
to have specs for writing a freedom driver for the Linux
(BSD/whatever) kernel / lm_sensors and have it supported for flashrom
/ coreboot". Especially since I am no code hacker, I'm one of those
strange users. ;)

Without support for that chip there likely won't be any flashrom and
thus no coreboot, right? That would be sad since otherwise the box is
very suitable and fairly well equipped for the price (also has a non
glare screen).

I can provide you with a bunch of outputs from flashrom, superiotool,
lm_sensors, lspci, lshw, dmidecode, acpidump and whatsnot if that is
of help.

Greetings and have nice week
Haldor