[flashrom] flashrom success with GD25Q20(B)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jan 6 11:10:16 CET 2015

On Tue, 6 Jan 2015 02:54:31 +0100
Gilles Aurejac <gilles at polysoft.fr> wrote:

> you're right I did wrote to the flash ship twice (and forgot the -V option the first time).
> I'm confident that the write operation worked : I first have read and save, then updated this chip (2nd bios chip of a gtx 770 nvidia card) succesfully with flashrom and compared with an hexadecimal the 2 dumps which reported the attempted differences.
>
> If you wish I can ran the write operation again and send you the result.

Hi,

no need, I just wanted to make sure.
I have marked the flash chip as fully tested and will commit that later
together with other small changes.

> Also I did not have the same success with the 1rst bios chip which is not recognized (0Kb) by flashrom, and neither by nvflash under windows (nvflash says : unknown eeprom - BF,008D : this is a SST chip)
> This is a 2Mbits spi eeprom with a sot-23 package.

sot-23 would be pretty spectacular... because that has only 3 pins ;)
I believe you mean SOIC-8 instead.

SPI flashes can use a few different ID methods which often share (parts
of) ID bytes. 0xBF is indeed the SST vendor ID... and 0x8d is even (the
main) part of a known device: the SST25VF040B. But it should be
detected ok with flashrom. Can you please send us the log produced with:
flashrom -p buspirate_spi:dev=COM5 -VVV -o SST25VF040B_probe_spew.log
Maybe I can spot what/if something is wrong.

The top marking of the chip would also help very much in verifying if
it is a SST25VF040B or something else.