[flashrom] Unknown SPI chip on Google Falco with linux_spi

David Hendricks dhendrix at google.com
Thu Feb 19 20:53:53 CET 2015

The ID bytes are reading as FF's. Double check your connections
<http://flashrom.org/RaspberryPi> and ensure that the C720 is completely
powered off (disconnect both the battery and the AC power).

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 9:09 PM, Remigijus Jarmalavičius <
remigijus at jarmalavicius.lt> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to unbrick latest Acer C720 with flashrom. What I have already
> done:
>

>    - Created ROM image successfully for writing with flashrom;
>    - Connected wires from Raspberry Pi to EEPROM chip on C720.
>    - Enabled kernel modules and tested with spidev_test (it returns data,
>    looks normal - not all 00's or FF's)
>    - Download latest flashrom from svn and compiled.
>    - Then executed: ./flashrom -VVV -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0
>
> After a lot output it said to me:
>
> Found Generic flash chip "unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0 kB, SPI) on
> linux_spi.
> Probing for Generic unknown SPI chip (REMS), 0 kB: REMS returned 0xff
> 0xff. probe_spi_rems: id1 0xff, id2 0xff
> Found Generic flash chip "unknown SPI chip (RDID)" (0 kB, SPI).
> ===
> This flash part has status NOT WORKING for operations: PROBE READ ERASE
> WRITE
> The test status of this chip may have been updated in the latest
> development
> version of flashrom. If you are running the latest development version,
> please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org if any of the above
> operations
> work correctly for you with this flash chip. Please include the flashrom
> log
> file for all operations you tested (see the man page for details), and
> mention
> which mainboard or programmer you tested in the subject line.
> Thanks for your help!
> No operations were specified.
>
> I saw that sometimes chip numbers are not entered to the flashrom source,
> maybe it's the same case? I think I have read all sites I found on Google
> about unbricking acer c720. What I should try next?
>
> Some details:
>

>    - Ubuntu 14 OS on Raspberry Pi B version.
>    - Acer chromebook c720 (model no: zhn)
>
> Please help me solve the issue. I am attaching complete log
> command: ./flashrom -VVV -p linux_spi:dev=/dev/spidev0.0 > log
>

> --
>
> *Remigijus Jarmalavičius*

David Hendricks (dhendrix)
Systems Software Engineer, Google Inc.