[flashrom] Asus P5W-DH board enable problem

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Feb 18 22:26:34 CET 2015

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015 16:26:35 +0300
"nicolae788 ." <nicolae788 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to write a chip SST 49LF008A in a P5W-DH board. This is not the
> original chip of the board, it's a hot flash. The flashrom properly detects
> the ICH7R chipset and the chip described above, but can only read from it
> no erase or write. The problem is that it does not enable the TBL pin on
> the chip, it stays low. I checked if the pin can be enabled by using the
> onboard flash utility from whitin the original BIOS of this board an i get
> a high on that pin ( +3.3V ) so it means that the chipset it's doing the
> work if properly enabled.
> […]
> Can someone please instruct me on how to proceed further? Thank you very
> much for your kindness.

Hi,

as the name suggests a board enable is rather board-specific. It is
usually required to toggle a GPIO pin of the southbridge that is
connected to the TBL or #WP pin of the flash chip. What needs to be
done is actually encoded in the BIOS image (not the flash tool) so it
can be recovered by reverse engineering. See
http://flashrom.org/Board_Enable for more details.