[flashrom] flashrom support for Spansion S25FL128S

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Feb 17 22:50:16 CET 2015

On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 04:46:16 -0600
<Ron_Taylor at DELL.com> wrote:

> 0x54: 0x000f0000 FREG0: Warning: Flash Descriptor region (0x00000000-0x0000ffff) is read-only.
> 0x58: 0x07ff0200 FREG1: BIOS region (0x00200000-0x007fffff) is read-write.

The problem is that the flash descriptor regions do not cover the whole
flash chip. There is a hole between 0x10000 and 0x1fffff (and the
second half of the chip is not mapped either). The chipset does not
allow accessing these holes but flashrom does try it by default
anyway because it reads the complete chip.

With some patching of flashrom this can be avoided but there is no
ready solution as far as I know. There are some patches regarding
layout handling that might be part of a possible solution, cf.
http://patchwork.coreboot.org/project/flashrom/list/