[flashrom] RFC: changes in the development of flashrom

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Feb 13 09:07:51 CET 2015

Hello folks, hello Carl-Daniel!

I am (again) trying to fix our development process. The development of
0.9.8 was an improvement already to what we did previously (since about
the 0.9.4 release) although my own resources where quite limited in the
second third of the cycle. But obviously it is not enough and we still
have some huge problems (e.g. probing, 4B addressing) and I don't see
how this is possible with the resources we currently have and use.

I have set out my plans already in the wiki:
http://flashrom.org/Development_Guidelines

The summary is an additional branch named staging where patches are
committed to allow for testing them by a broader audience without
tainting trunk. Patches will be moved to trunk rather slowly, either
after "enough" testing (and an additionally ack) or by the known
reviewing process. This kind of mirrors what I do locally already but
makes it more publicly.

The idea behind this is to still maintain the (at least) four-eyes
principle but support it by provoking testing (and superficial
reviewing) by non-regulars. My hope is that this helps to keep up our
high quality standards with less reviewing strain on the regulars that
can not invest as much time as they want to while allowing for faster
integrating of changes.

I am happy to discuss changes to my proposal until the eventual release
of 0.9.8, or the end of February, whatever comes first.