[flashrom] Macronix Erase/Write Problems

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Dec 25 02:51:21 CET 2015

On Tue, 4 Aug 2015 08:57:58 +0100
Adam Clarke <adam at ajclarke.co.uk> wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I am trying to revive a computer which had a failed BIOS update.
>
> I bought a BUS Pirate and started using Flashrom to take a copy of an identical fully working model.  Strangely this machine has two chips:
>
> MX25L6405D
> MX25L3205D
>
> From the dump's I have made, I believe the MX25L6405D holds the BIOS and the MX25L3205D possibly holds the ME Firmware.

Yes, that's about right. The CPU sees only the combined address range
of both chips. The BIOS region actually spans both... a rather unusual
setup AFAIK but that's not the main problem here (yet). I wrote a blog
post about some details of that dual-chip setup a few years ago...
http://blogs.coreboot.org/blog/2011/06/11/gsoc-2011-flashrom-part-1/

Either the board is powered enough so that the ME interferes, or there
is not enough power from the BP to power the chip because other
components suck energy as well, or there are other problems as mentioned
on http://www.flashrom.org/ISP