[flashrom] HP XW9300 mainboard

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Dec 25 02:24:46 CET 2015

On Wed, 12 Aug 2015 10:55:06 +0000
Federico Tomasi <federico.tomasi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I already tried some time ago to flash my hp xw9300 mainboard bios but with
> no luck. Then I realized that I was using Ubuntu on a VirtualBox so it
> maybe could not access the mainborad chip...
>
> I retried in these days using an Ubuntu  live-cd, and I also read this old
> forum thread
>
> http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?s=c0347634d93e911f8254f28ec1a83fc1&p=2176448&postcount=6
>
>  where a guy tells to have succesfully written a Tyan original bios on the
> HP branded version of the same mainboard (the Tyan K8WE S2895) that is the
> HP XW9300 mainboard.
> (I didn't connect pins as he edit it wasn't necessary to do that but to
> enable the jumper of boot block)

Hi Federico,

it seems like different versions of the firmware engage different write
protection mechanisms and your version requires either a small piece of
code in flashrom to disable the write protection or the ugly hack of
connection the respective pins to VDD. The problem is that deriving the
right commands for the board is not straight forward and no one
bothered to find them yet (it requires reverse engineering the firmware
files).