[flashrom] [r1850] ASRock C2750D4I // Intel Avoton/Rangeley requires special support

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Sep 27 19:29:18 CEST 2014

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 18:59:39 +0200
Johannes Obermayr <johannesobermayr at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am Samstag, 27. September 2014, 15:08:15 schrieb Stefan Tauner:
> > On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 17:14:51 +0200
> > Johannes Obermayr <johannesobermayr at gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> > > BIOS_CNTL = 0x2a: BIOS Lock Enable: enabled, BIOS Write Enable: disabled
> > > Warning: BIOS region SMM protection is enabled!
> > > Warning: Setting Bios Control at 0x0 from 0x2a to 0x09 failed.
> > > New value is 0x2a.
> >
> > Hello Johannes,
> >
> > yes, its SMM code needs to be convinced that flashrom is allowed to
> > modify the flash. In such cases we usually suggest using the vendor
> > tools instead of flashrom.
> >

> Hi Stefan,
>
> what means "we usually suggest" here:
> "wontfix", "will(may)befixed", "will(may)befixedsoon", "needthehardwaretoinspectandimplement" or "somethingelse"?
>
> Please drive the point home ...
>
> <sorry=for_german>
> "In solchen Fällen empfehlen wir gewöhnlich die Anwendungen des Herstellers anstelle flashrom zu verwenden." (frei übersetzt)
> Eine solche Aussage trifft keine (temporäre) Entscheidung zur weiteren (Nicht-)Umsetzung in flashrom sondern lässt alles offen.

Hi,

that was intentional actually. If the firmware allows it it would be
possible to make flashrom work. After all, if ASRock supports flash
upgrades from within other operating systems there needs to be a way
to disable the copy protection...
However, the chances that anybody will invest enough time into
circumventing it in a timely manner are slim in my experience. I will
not try it (lack of time/skills), but I can not speak for everybody in
the community, hence my rather vague wording.