[flashrom] Trying to program flash on Minnowboard

Robert Johnston robert at layer2.com
Wed Nov 5 21:37:49 CET 2014

Hi,

I am trying to use flashrom and a TinCanTools flyswatter2 to program the
Winbond W25Q32 flash via SPI.  After researching how to use flashrom and the
flyswatter, I tried the following:

robert at STS-MAX:~/Downloads/MB_UEFI_Firmware_v1.00$ sudo flashrom
--programmer internal --write MINNOW.fd

[sudo] password for robert:

flashrom v0.9.6.1-r1563 on Linux 3.13.0-39-generic (x86_64)

flashrom is free software, get the source code at http://www.flashrom.org

Calibrating delay loop... OK.

Found chipset "Intel H67". Enabling flash write... FREG0: WARNING: Flash
Descriptor region (0x00000000-0x00000fff) is read-only.

FREG2: WARNING: Management Engine region (0x00003000-0x001fffff) is locked.

Please send a verbose log to flashrom at flashrom.org if this board is not
listed on

http://flashrom.org/Supported_hardware#Supported_mainboards yet.

Writes have been disabled. You can enforce write support with the

ich_spi_force programmer option, but it will most likely harm your hardware!

If you force flashrom you will get no support if something breaks.

OK.

Found Winbond flash chip "W25Q32" (4096 kB, SPI) at physical address
0xffc00000.

Write/erase is not working yet on your programmer in its current
configuration.

Aborting.

So apparently it does find the W25Q32 chip, and I may be getting close.

Before I proceed to possible destruction, does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

Robert