[flashrom] AT45DB011D read not working

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at alumni.tuwien.ac.at
Wed May 21 23:30:34 CEST 2014

On Tue, 20 May 2014 18:15:40 +0200
The Raven <originalraven at hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
thanks for your report!

> Tested with "flashrom v0.9.7-r1796".
> Chip is still "UNTESTED" for all operations, but probe, read, erase and
> write works.
> Tested many times with random data. Always ok.
>
> I also tested the erase functions:
> Function 0 -> ok
> Function 1 -> ok
> Function 3 -> Not OK!
>
> The output is:
> Found Atmel flash chip "AT45DB021D" (264 kB, SPI).
> This chip may contain one-time programmable memory. flashrom cannot read
> and may never be able to write it, hence it may not be able to completely
> clone the contents of this chip (see man page for details).
> ===
> This flash part has status UNTESTED for operations: PROBE READ ERASE WRITE
> The test status of this chip may have been updated in the latest development
> version of flashrom. If you are running the latest development version,
> please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org if any of the above
> operations
> work correctly for you with this flash part. Please include the flashrom
> output with the additional -V option for all operations you tested (-V, -Vr,
> -VE, -Vw), and mention which mainboard or programmer you tested.
> Please mention your board in the subject line. Thanks for your help!
> Erasing and writing flash chip... Trying erase function 0...
> 0x000000-0x00083f:E, 0x000840-0x0083ff:E, 0x008400-0x0107ff:EError:
> invalid response 0x11 from device
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's a serprog error, and probably stems from a bug in the arduino
implementation... i guess.

> at45db_erase: error sending erase command!
> Reading current flash chip contents... Error: invalid response 0xE9 from
> device
> spi_read_at45db: error sending read command!
> Can't read anymore! Aborting.
> FAILED!
> Your flash chip is in an unknown state.
> Please report this on IRC at chat.freenode.net (channel #flashrom) or
> mail flashrom at flashrom.org, thanks!
>
> But writing with this mode works!
> Output:
> Found Atmel flash chip "AT45DB021D" (264 kB, SPI).
> This chip may contain one-time programmable memory. flashrom cannot read
> and may never be able to write it, hence it may not be able to completely
> clone the contents of this chip (see man page for details).
> ===
> This flash part has status UNTESTED for operations: PROBE READ ERASE WRITE
> The test status of this chip may have been updated in the latest development
> version of flashrom. If you are running the latest development version,
> please email a report to flashrom at flashrom.org if any of the above
> operations
> work correctly for you with this flash part. Please include the flashrom
> output with the additional -V option for all operations you tested (-V, -Vr,
> -VE, -Vw), and mention which mainboard or programmer you tested.
> Please mention your board in the subject line. Thanks for your help!
> Reading old flash chip contents... done.
> Erasing and writing flash chip... Trying erase function 0...
> 0x000000-0x00083f:W, 0x000840-0x0083ff:W, 0x008400-0x0107ff:S,
> 0x010800-0x018bff:S, 0x018c00-0x020fff:S, 0x021000-0x0293ff:S,
> 0x029400-0x0317ff:S, 0x031800-0x039bff:S, 0x039c00-0x041fff:S
> Erase/write done.
> Verifying flash... VERIFIED.

Actually... your data in this log does not require an erase cycle,
that's why it *looks* like working... because it just writes (but does
not erase).

I have checked the eraser definitions of the chip and they look fine.
Therefore I have marked the flash chip as fully tested and will commit
that later together with other small changes.